Your Custom travels
A note from Eli
During a casual conversation with my friend, Laura Gingerich (Photography), we spoke about terrific places around the world that we have been. Italy, but specifically the Amalfi Coast area is a place that we are both fond of so she asked, "Would it be possible for us to do a photography tour there?"
A month later, Dave, Laura, Jordan, and I spent a week in the Amalfi Coast and surrounding areas scouting out villas, restaurants, sites to see, and trekking trails for the tour. Our familiarity with the area from previous personal travel and the aid of some first-class local guides enabled us to achieve all of our goals for the trip - resulting in what will be an AMAZING photography adventure May 13-20, 2017!
I and the Your Cuba Travel team has also decided to stand-up a new website for all destinations which are not Cuba. The new domain's name is "Your Custom Travels". We have already purchased the domain and Dave is in the process of building the new website.
The "YCT" team intends to continue to entertain the idea of hosting adventures anywhere around the world that our business partners and customer base has sincere interest in. Croatia and Scotland are among two destinations that we have had preliminary discussions about. If you've got any ideas, please share them with us and we'll explore it!
Check out the itinerary for our first Italy tour!
The Amalfi Coast and Beyond
A Photographic Journey
May 13-20, 2017
The price of this tour is $4,200
Reserve Your Place with a Deposit of $700
* Private Boat to Hidden Beaches
* Walk the famous Path of the Gods
* Explore the remarkable Temples of Paestum
* Experience Ravello’s Ruffulo Gardens
* Stay at a beautiful villa overlooking the sea
* Feast on organic Italian Cuisine
* Photography Lessons, Tips and Coaching
DAY ONE: Buongiorno! After settling into your room in the beautifully renovated, historic seaside villa in Vieri Sul Mare, Campania Italy enjoy a welcome party and introductions on the main lawn.
DAY TWO: The seaside town of Amalfi is set at the base of a river valley called the Valle dei Mulini, Valley of the Mills, which was a thriving industry of paper production in the middle ages. You will meet “Rosa” our wonderful local guide (and walking encyclopedia) who will escort us through the lemon groves, ancient ruins and along the mountain streams. We will picnic along the crystal clear river and cool off our feet before heading to the Reserve Integrale, a protected paradise where we will photograph the rare fauna and flora and cascading waterfalls. Dinner will be included at one of our favorite restaurants.
DAY THREE: Today, we will take a short drive to Ravello, a mountaintop village and gateway to the Villa Ruffulol, built in the 13th century and known as one of the largest and most expensive villas on the Amalfi Coast. Cooled by the umbrella pines, we will take our time meandering through the spectacular gardens overlooking the sea. Here, we will witness the merge of history, culture, architecture, arts and natural beauty. At lunch time, we will board a small boat which will take us to a seaside cafe where we will feast on the catch of the day and rustic Italian cuisine. The rest of the afternoon will provide you an opportunity to walk the beautiful town of Amalfi to explore and shop at your leisure.
DAY FOUR: Today, a private boat will take us to the hidden beaches where you can hone your photography skills, take a swim, catch some rays, take a nap or read a book. We will pack picnic baskets filled with a delicious foods and take in the sights and sounds of this breathtaking place. Dinner will be prepared at your villa by a private chef.
DAY FIVE: An earlier wake up call for a forty-five minute drive down the coast then up to Boomerano, where we will begin the trek along the famous Path of the Gods. We will walk along the highlands above the emerald sea contemplating the most striking panoramas on earth. We will take our time to enjoy, shoot, rest and of course eat along the path. On our descent, we will stop at For Porta to enjoy fresh (we’re talking right off the vine) lemonade. Here, we will end our day with a cooking class and dinner. Not into cooking? Simply sit back, enjoy a glass of wine and continue to photograph the picturesque surroundings.
DAY SIX: A day of options including a tour of Salerno, shopping, kayaking, photo processing and resting at the villa. Dinner will be included at a terrific restaurant in Salerno.
DAY SEVEN: We will enjoy a leisurely breakfast before heading off to Paestum. After a short tour of a mozzarella factory and lovely lunch we will drive a short distance to the land that takes us back in time over two thousand years ago. Here, the Temples of Hera and Athena, built circa 500 BC and the ancient community remain in remarkable condition. Words are hard to find to describe this foregone landscape where we will spend a fair amount of time. After a private tour the golden hours will provide the opportunity for fantastic photography. We will have plenty to talk about as we head back to our villa with a stop along the way for authentic Italian pizza dinner in the heart of Salerno.
DAY EIGHT: Photography critiques, farewells, debriefing and transfers to Rome or Naples.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How much walking/hiking will be involved? As you can see from the images, the seaside villages are built into the cliffs. Everyday walking is more challenging than here in the states especially on the cobblestone streets. You will have the option to trek along the Path of the Gods which is approximately six miles. The Valley of the Mills hike is approximately 3-5 miles.
2. How difficult are the two treks (Path of Gods and Valley of the Mills)? I consider myself in good shape but there were a few times I was huffing and puffing. If you can walk 1.5 miles at a moderate pace without being overly winded, you should be fine. There’s plenty of places to stop, shoot and rest. Consult your physician and please fill out attached medical waiver.
3. Do I need sturdy hiking shoes? Yes. Highly recommended.
4. What will the weather be like? The weather is dry. Expect 70’s during the day and cooler evenings, high 50’s low in the 60’s.
5. How will we get around? We will have private van(s) and driver(s).
6. How many people will be on the tour? Maximum of twelve to ensure personal attention.
7. What photography experience is required? All levels welcome.
8. Can my spouse, who is not interested in photography come along? Yes!
Your Trip Includes:
8 Days & 7 Nights in a beautifully renovated villa on the sea
Seven Dinners (2 drinks per)
Diverse itinerary with emphasis on history and photography
All transportation while on tour*
Your Trip does not include:
Flight to Rome or Naples
Train to Salerno from Naples or Rome (arrival)
Train to Rome or Naples from Salerno (departure)
Lodging outside of Vieri Sul Mare, Campania
* Note: We will gladly arrange your travel to Salerno for a 15% fee